Monday, May 28, 2007

Safety is #1

Day 1 at CMC

Today was my first day at my new job in Seguin. Bright and early at 7am. Only to get there and find out that there were actually 25, yes I said 25, safety training videos to watch. Wow. I was only expecting 10 or 12 based on what other people had told me so it was a bit of a surprise. But, it was necessary. And a bit scary now that I've watched all of those.


There were two other new employees at orientation with me. We were each issued our own hard hat with our name, safety glasses, earplugs and steel-toe boots. Very nice. Notice the logos on the back of each helmet, denoting our departments. I'm in IT/Training and my co-workers are in the Rolling Mill and the Melt Shop. The next two days we will be touring the various areas in the mill and I am really looking forward to learning about what goes on in all the different areas.

The titles of the videos made me laugh at times. And I understand the importance of going through these, but at the same time, it was pretty tough to sit through that many back to back. Here are some of my favorite titles:
  1. Oxyfuel Safety
  2. Compressed Air Dangers
  3. High Impact Welding Safety
  4. Safety Short: Slippin' & Trippin'
  5. Safety Short: Personal Workspace
  6. Lockout & Tagout
  7. Confined Space Entry
  8. Where Are Your Hands?
  9. I Chose to Look the Other Way
  10. Safety is the WORD!

2 comments:

photowannabe said...

Good luck in your new job. Now that you know "everything" Where are your hands?

Shorty said...

Are you sure Where Are Your Hands wasn't another kind of training video? Also got a request from your old co-workers, suit up in your new loot and take a self portrait.