Thursday, April 19, 2007

Smoking the bees

Moving bees from Burnet to Seguin. Smoke makes them sleepy!

In order to moves bees, or do anything with them and their home, you must first calm them. The smoke apparently makes them drowsy and calms them down a bit. I think that is a very cute image in my head. Picture cute little bees getting sleepy....so sleeeeeeepy. And Mark says that this kind of activity should be done early dawn or dusk.

Mark was very generous and gave me the bee suit with the hat and veil. I didn't get a single sting this time! Mark only got one sting and he didn't have any protection besides the hat you see.

We lifted the box onto the truck bed. It was heavier than I expected and I was afraid of dropping the poor things but we did it. Then we drove all the way from Burnet to Seguin and they were okay. Next I'll post a picture of them in their new home, our backyard.


3 comments:

Nikon said...

Hi, thanks for your comment on Bergamo, I appreciate the visit. (I neglect that site unfortunately.)
Do you ever visit Brookville,Ohio DP? Abraham has a lot of great close-ups of bees & how they are vanishing.
I like the color of your tub :)
Do you have an Ikea store there?

Anonymous said...

Hello. Thanks for the note. My email link you can use is on the page.
http://www.oldmanlincoln.com/Legal/legal_copyright_info.htm

Just go there and look at the link. The word (at) is substituted for the symbol @ so you have to change it to the symbol.

popslinc(5)yahoo.com

See the (5) well that is the same as the (at) it is just there so rob ots don't copy it right.

You have to put the symbol in there instead and then it works.

Email me and I will gladly tell you what you asked.

Abraham

Anonymous said...

Very nice photo and good text information too.

I like it.

Abraham Lincoln

And thank you for visiting my blog.