Friday, January 25, 2008

Are you comfy kitty?

Comfy kitty?

I'm not sure how he can be but I guess he was b/c he was in that position for about an hour. Smokey is a nut and he makes us laugh a lot. Earlier he ambushed us both as we walked past the armchair. He was hiding behind the ottoman. It was too wet and chilly outside so I suppose he came in to play with us. I'm ready for some sun. We have not seen a good amount of sun in over a week. Just drizzle and cold. Hmm.

Tomorrow Lan and I are off to Houston to do some shopping in preparation for Tet, which is coming up soon! February 7 marks the beginning of the Year of the Rat. Or Mouse, if the thought of a rat is sort of yucky to you. ;) I am a Rooster so I believe I read that this year I'm suppose to save, save, save. I will dig up the old "fortune book" and put each sign's prediction for the year on the La China blog for your reading pleasure.

Speaking of reading, I read this hilarious Bible Manga, Genesis and Exodus. VERY funny and well done I think. It is from Korea and I found it artfully done and it capture the essence of the books quite succinctly. Anyway, I was very happy I tried it. I need to show that to a few people and see what they think. Who knew such a thing existed!

I am now reading After Sorrow Comes Joy. It's about Cherie Clark and her family and how their experiences adopting Vietnamese orphans during the 70's. A friend loaned me the book and though I knew it would be a hard one for me to read, I really wanted to read the author's account of her departure from Saigon the last day in April 1975, before the communists rolled in. We also left in April but were fortunate enough to leave all together...all nine of us and no one was lost in the chaos. We were very, very lucky I think. So, after I post this, I am off to the couch for another few chapters. While it is sad to read about the conditions of the poor children of war, it has also been uplifting to read about people's efforts to help find loving homes for these kids.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Have you seen the documentary Daughter from Danang? I just saw it last week, and it was one of the most complex, frustrating documentaries I have ever seen.

I wasn't going to recommend it to you because I thought it might be hard for you to watch- but you might be interested, anyway.

Let me know if you do see it.

I miss you tons!! I hope you have a very happy Tet! (Can you wish people happy Tets? Or is it more like a merry Tet or a joyous Tet?)

Love you!

-Angela